Monday, August 28, 2006

Work in progress

So... my "new" old house (was built in 1947). Talk about a work in progress. I've put together a little picture tutorial to give you an idea of what Jeff and I are dealing with there. I'll start with the worst room: The knotty pine/family room. Good heavens. I like to call it the "naughty pine" room. Because that pine? SO hideous. I wish I had larger pictures, but all I have are the photos I got off of our realtor's website. You should actually be thankful. You'd have knotty pine nightmares if it was too large. Oh, and please notice the plates lining the entire perimeter of the room. Plates that had things like Civil War images on them or something. CIVIL WAR MEMORABILIA PLATES. I think I passed over the segment that was selling those on the home shopping network at 4 am once.
Here is what the room looks like now:

Oh yes, much better. Restoration Hardware paint color: "Linen". The floors are no longer the hideous POOP brown carpet, they are even more hideous linoleum. 30 year old linoleum. That likes to flake. Hideous flakey 30-year linoleum will be gone in a couple weeks once Home Depot gets off their butt and installs our glorious new carpet.

Now on to the Formal Living Room:

I like to call this room the "Far and Away" room. Did you ever see that movie? With Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise, about leaving Ireland and moving to the U.S. to get land? Takes place around the mid 1800's I think, and the decor in this room, I swear, must have been taken directly from the set. Seriously, note the chandelier in the corner. Over the baby poop colored (I am an expert in that color, by the way) love seat.

And now:

I would dearly love to redo the emerald city green tile, but it will have to do for now. We're having the floors refinished Tuesday. Restoration Hardware paint color: Latte.

Dining Room:

I'm not even going to comment on the wallpaper. Or the lace curtains.

Now:

Jeff wants to get this chandelier. I like that one a lot, but I also like this one. What do you think?

Anyway, that's our house in progress. I hope you like what we've done so far. I can't wait to show you the finished product!

22 comments:

Kelly said...

I like the second chandelier the best! You are doing great with the renovations... fabulous paint colors!

How's little Cole doing?

Paige said...

I like the 2nd chandelier too, it is beautiful. Love those colors too.....!

Jenna said...

I choose the 2nd chandelier, too.

Your new home is coming along nicely.

Chastity said...

I like both chandeliers, however, I think the second is probably more practical. I think you might outgrow your love for the first one, but the second one will probably stay in style forever.

Lady Apple said...

your house like it has a great structure to it! we are remodeling our house too...we gutted the kitchen last summer and just started over.
i agree with you...knotty pine is hideous, dark, and depressing

Malnurtured Snay said...

Some of those pictures are awful small, hard to make out the details. From what I can see, looks nice .

Anonymous said...

I agree...I like the second one best. They are both gorgeous though!

Ella said...

I have to agree with everyone else -- the second one is perfect. Great work so far, I love the colors you picked!

Janet said...

um, can I just say wow, WOW, and WOW! I am so impressed that you are doing all of this with a newborn. I love the colors you chose and am now having another major case of homeowner jealousy!!!!

Lucky Gem said...

The house is looking fab! By the way, I like your chandelier the best.

Anonymous said...

I think the 2nd is better, too! I think it goes with the rest of the house best. Am I going to be able to sleep there when I come on the 5th?

Love you, mop

Erika said...

I like the second one better. Everything looks great!! The crown molding and trim looks excellent.

You know you could have EASILY added at least ONE baby picture to this post!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have done an amazing job of transforming your new house!!

Anonymous said...

I really like the first one. It's very elegant. Your husband must really be a cool guy! Love you honey,
Your Husby

mdvelazquez said...

The restoration looks great.

I'm odd man out on the chandelier. I like the first one best.

Silly Hily said...

Hehe, Jeff is so funny. My husband has done that before. Left anon comments on my blog about how wonderful "that husband must be." Too funny.

I must say though that I like the second one the best.

Oh, and want to know what color I used to paint my new house? Latte! I lurve it.

Jenni said...

Wow! Looks great already. I'm impressed...especially considering you JUST had a baby! I like both chandeliers, but I think I'm a little more partial to the first one. Can't wait to see pics of the finished product!

Anonymous said...

You guys rock!
The house looks beautiful so far. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

And I'm with Erica, would it have killed you to throw in a baby pic? He's so gorgeous I want to see more of his precious mug!

Nikki said...

Delurking to say...
1. Congrats on your beautiful son.
2. Your colors are fabulous in those rooms...they really "pop" against the trim and crown molding.

Isabel said...

It's looking great.

Anonymous said...

2nd chandelier is prettier

Liberal Banana said...

I can't believe how much you guys have gotten done with a newborn around! That's amazing! Kudos to you...